Geographical Links throughout the County of Cornwall
|Back to Main Index|
|These pages list most of the towns and villages in Cornwall.
Each entry includes a brief pen picture of the place.
If you are seeking more detailed information
click on the appropriate button at the end of the description.
This will open a new page containing information relevant to the town or village.
Places with names in bold letters within the description have their own entry in these pages.
|Towns and Villages - L|
|LADOCK (named after the parish saint) is situated on the A38 between Truro and Bodmin.|
|LANARTH (from the Cornish Lannergh meaning "clearing") is a small village inland from Looe.|
|LANDS END (in Cornish Penn-an-wlas meaning "the end of the land") is at the end of the A30 and at the end of Cornwall. The furthest point on the UK mainland from John O'Groats.|
|LANSALLOS is on the coast between Polperro and Polruan.|
|LANTEGLOS (from the Cornish Nans-eglos meaning "church valley") is a village on the eastern side of the River Fowey to the north of Polruan.|
|LAUNCESTON (derived from it's Cornish name of Lann Stefan meaning "Holy place of St Stephen") was once the capital of Cornwall and stands at the eastern gateway to Devon on the main A30 trunk road between Penzance and Exeter.
It's main attractions are the remains of one of the best preserved Norman castles in Britain and the 16th Century Church of St. Mary Magdalene which has one of the most lavishly carved exteriors of any Church in England. Launceston Castle was used as the local assizes and gaol. George Fox, the founder of the Quakers, was imprisoned there for 8 months in 1656. Launceston has had a town mayor continually since Stephen Kech became the first mayor in 1297. Launceston in Tasmania was named by the Cornish miners that went there to work. The Saxon name for the town was Dunheved and the Cornish name is Lannstefan but some of the old granite way markers in the area refer to it as Lanson - probably because of the way that locals pronounced the name.
|LEEDSTOWN is a village between Helston and Hayle.|
|LELANT (derived from the Cornish name Lann Anta meaning "Holy place of St Anta") is a village on the road into St Ives from the A30.|
|LINKINHORNE (from the Cornish Lannkenhorn meaning "the holy place of St Kenhorne") is on the edge of Bodmin Moor between Callington and Launceston.|
|LISKEARD (from the Cornish Lyskerrys meaning "court of Kerrys") is a major town in East Cornwall situated on the A38 between Plymouth and Bodmin.
|THE LIZARD (from the Cornish Lys-ardh probably meaning "high court") is at the southern-most point of the UK mainland and has the most southerly land-based lighthouse. Famous for it's serpentine rock - a very decorative form of granite, which is made into ashtrays, paperweights and other ornamental objects.
|LOOE (from the Cornish Logh meaning "sea lake") is a fishing port on the coast to the south of Liskeard on the B3254.
The town is divided into East and West Looe by the Looe River. It's origins as a fishing hamlet date back to the Doomsday Book. One of the summer highlights is the Looe Music Festival which takes over the town.
At the entrance to the harbour and river is the Banjo Pier, named for it's likeness to the musical instrument.
|LOSTWITHIEL (from the Cornish Lostgwydeyel meaning "the place at the tail-end of the forest") is an old town on the A390 between Liskeard and St Austell. Main feature is Restormel Castle with it's Norman origins. The castle was rebuilt in the late 13th Century as a residence for Edmund, Earl of Cornwall. In the 14th Century Lostwithiel was the capital of Cornwall and the Shire Hall became the Duchy Palace after the creation of the Dukedom of Cornwall in 1337. Restormel Castle was the scene of a Civil War battle in 1644 when, on the 21st August, the Royalist Sir Richard Grenville captured it from the Parliamentarian army, under Lord Essex, who were garrisoned in the keep.