Mevagissey harbour  Visiting Cornwall Logo - background is part of Bodmin Moor as seen from Jamaica Inn at Altarnun. The road in the picture is the main A30 through Cornwall. Eden Project near St Austell 
 

Geographical Links throughout the County of Cornwall

 
  Back to Main Index  
     
     
  These pages list most of the towns and villages in Cornwall.
Each entry is a brief pen picture of the place (up to 10 lines).
If you are seeking more detailed information
click on the appropriate button at the end of the description.
This will open a new page containing information relevant to the town or village.
Places with names in bold letters within the description have their own entry in these pages.
 


  A B C D E F G H I  
  J K L M N O P Q R  
  S St T U V W X Y Z  


Towns and Villages - A
Brown Willy, the highest point in Cornwall  ADVENT (also known as St Adwen) is situated on Bodmin Moor just off the A39 about a mile south of Camelford. A little further onto the moor (less than 2 miles) to the west of Advent is Brown Willy, which is the highest point in Cornwall.  
  ALTARNUN (altar of St Non) is situated on Bodmin Moor just off the A30 between Launceston and Bodmin in the sheltered valley of Penpont Water. The parish church of St. Nonna is known as the "Cathedral of the Moors". St Nonna was the mother of St. David and left her native Wales around the year 527. Nearby in Trewint is Isbell Cottage, used by John Wesley during his preaching tours and now open to the public. A memorial to Digory & Elizabeth Isbell can be seen in the church.  
  ANGARRACK is a village just off the A30 between Camborne and Hayle. An impressive viaduct built by Isambard Kingdom Brunel carries the main London to penzance railway line across the valley. Once an important tin mining community with tin stamps and a tin smelter (circa 1705).  
  ANTHONY is both a village and parish in east Cornwall on the Rame peninsula between Whitsand Bay and the St Germans (or Lynher) River off the A374 to Torpoint. The medieval church of St James dates from the 13th century. Nearby is Anthony House (completed in 1721), the home of the Carew family. Sir John Carew Pole gave the house and gardens to the National Trust in 1961, on the condition that the family could continue to reside there. In September and October 2008 it was the location for the filming of the Disney film Alice in Wonderland; staring Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and Anne Hathaway.  
  ASHTON (the place of the ash tree) is situated west of Helston on the A394 to Penzance. A Margaret Thretford lived in Ashton in the mid 1500s, who was a direct descenant of Lady Godiva (980 - 1067), wife of Leofric 3rd, Earl of Mercia (968 - 1057)  
   



Created and maintained by Amdow Web Design