Mevagissey harbour  Visiting Cornwall Logo - background is part of Bodmin Moor as seen from Jamaica Inn at Altarnun. The road in the picture is the main A30 through Cornwall. Eden Project near St Austell 
 

LIFEBOAT STATIONS AROUND THE COAST OF CORNWALL AND THE ISLES OF SCILLY

 
Back to Main Index
 
  Back to Lifeboats
 
  To Lighthouse Guide
 
PORT ISAAC
The current Port Isaac Lifeboat Station The old Lifeboat House at Port Isaac - now a gift shop
Photograph by Phillip Halling
(Left) The current Lifeboat Station on the harbour (Right) The old lifeboat house in the middle of the village

In 1869 the RNLI established a lifeboat station at Port Isaac and a boathouse was built on a hill leading down to the east side of the bay. (See right picture above and left picture below.) At this time there were two lifeboats called Richard and Sarah. To launch the lifeboat, it first had to be pulled manually through the narrow street from the lifeboat house to the harbour on a carriage. If you visit Port Isaac, look for the grooves left on the corners of buildings by the ropes.

The old lifeboat house as it was          An old photograph of the lifeboat being pulled.     Inside Port Isaac lifeboat station in April 2013
(Left) The old lifeboat house when still in use (Centre) An old photograph of the lifeboat being pulled through the narrow streets (Right) A view inside the Port Isaac lifeboat station in April 2013

In 1927 a new boathouse was built at the back of the harbour beach for the fourth and last traditional pulling and sail Lifeboat. This larger lifeboat was called the Ernest Dresden. In 1933, following six years without a single shout, the lifeboat was withdrawn and the lifeboat station closed.

In June 1967 Port Isaac was re-opened as an inshore lifeboat station with a D Class lifeboat.
In 1994 the old 1927 boathouse was re-acquired and refurbished to provide accommodation for the lifeboat and crew facilities. (See top left picture)

On 29th May 1997 a new D Class lifeboat, D-517, was placed on service at Port Isaac but this was replaced by a new D Class lifeboat, D-546 Spirit of the PCS RE II, on 3 June 1999. This was replaced by another new D Class inshore lifeboat named Copeland Bell, D-707, on Sunday 13th June 2010.

Station Opening Times 9:00am until dusk daily. There is no shop at Port Isaac (yet).

LATEST NEWS
22 July 2011
Coastal Spring of St Clether, between Port Isaac and Launceston, are producing a range of bottled water carring the RNLI logo. One penny from each product sold goes to the RNLI. This is expected to raise 10,000 for the charity each year.

04 Jan 2013
Port Isaac RNLI lifeboat volunteers raced through rough seas on New Year's Eve in a desperate search to find an angler who was washed off rocks near Tintagel Head. It's believed the man had been in the water for up to an hour before he was found. The fisherman was taken back to Boscastle where he was met by paramedics and then transported on to hospital where he is recovering. See the video shot with the RNLI helmet camera below.

VIDEOS


Back to Top

 


Created and maintained by Amdow Web Design

Copyright 2000 - 2011 Amdow Web Design All rights reserved. Unauthorised use or copying is not permitted.   |   Commons Licence for reuse of certain images


Broken Links: Although we try to ensure that all the external links on our pages are current, there are times when a website will cease to exist or change it's name or the names of individual pages without our knowledge. If you come across any of these links that do not work, please let us know so that we can correct them.
Please email us with the details (web page URL and the broken link) at: