LIFEBOAT STATIONS AROUND THE COAST OF CORNWALL AND THE ISLES OF SCILLY
|Back to Main Index
|Back to Lifeboats|
|To Lighthouse Guide
(Left) The original Newquay Lifeboat House on Towan Head (Right) Newquay Lifeboat House and Seamen's Mission
| In 1860 the first RNLI Lifeboat at Newquay, a pulling lifeboat named Joshua was taken to the beach by carriage for launching. In 1870 the Joshua was renamed James & Elizabeth. The James & Elizabeth II arrived in 1873 and was then renamed as Pendock Neale.
In 1895 a new slipway was completed at Towan Head so the lifeboat could launch directly into the sea. The first lifeboat launched from Towan Head was the Willie Rogers that had come on station in 1892. However, as the slipway was one of the steepest in the country, it was impossible to recover the lifeboat back up the slipway and the lifeboat had to be taken back from the beach to the boathouse by carriage. In 1899 a new boathouse was built at Towan Head.
Two more pulling lifeboats were stationed at Newquay - the John William Dudley in 1919 and then the Admiral Sir George Back from 1920 to 1934.
In 1934 the station closed as horses were no longer available to help recover the lifeboat. The station re-opened in 1940 with the station’s first motor lifeboat, as a wartime measure, but was closed again in 1945.
In June 1965 an inshore lifeboat station was established with a D Class lifeboat. The D Class lifeboat was withdrawn and replaced with a C class lifeboat in 1983.
In 1994 a new boathouse was built on the site of the old Seaman's Mission. This was a combined RNLI boathouse and Seamen's Mission, the boathouse providing housing for D Class and Atlantic lifeboats as well as crew facilities. This is the only lifeboat station that includes a church.
On 15th February 1995 a B class Atlantic 21 lifeboat arrived at the station as temporary cover when the C class lifeboat was withdrawn. On 13th September 1995 the Atlantic 75 lifeboat (B-715), Phyllis, came into service to replace the B class Atlantic 21.
On 11th April 1996 a new D Class lifeboat (D-497) came into service. This was replaced on 17th February 2005 by another D Class lifeboat (D-636) Valerie Wilson.
In October 2005 a new Atlantic 85 lifeboat, (B-821) Gladys Mildred, was placed on service.
Station Opening Times: May to September. Most days from 9:00am to 5:00pm
Shop Opening Times Easter to the end of September - Daily from 10:00am to 4:00pm
Shop Tel: 01637 852496
Newquay Lifeboat station website.
Newquay Lifeboat Day 2010 (1 min 28 secs)
Newquay Lifeboat to the rescue - 2nd July 2010 (25 secs)
Newquay's Atlantic 85 Lifeboat, Gladys Mildred, filmed from the air (2 min 59 secs)
Back to Top