Mevagissey harbour  Visiting Cornwall Logo - background is part of Bodmin Moor as seen from Jamaica Inn at Altarnun. The road in the picture is the main A30 through Cornwall. Eden Project near St Austell 
 

LIFEBOAT STATIONS AROUND THE COAST OF CORNWALL AND THE ISLES OF SCILLY

 
Back to Main Index

 
  Back to Lifeboats

 
  To Lighthouse Guide

 
FOWEY

Polkerris - the old lifeboat house is the right hand white building
Polkerris - the old lifeboat house is the right hand white building

The first lifeboat station for the Fowey area was established in 1859 at Polkerris on the eastern end of St Austell Bay after large donations from local landowner William Rashleigh. The first lifeboat stationed there was named Catherine Rashleigh in honour of William Rashleigh's wife.

In 1922 the Polkerris station closed and the existing lifeboat James, William and Caroline Courtney was sold and the boathouse was converted into the lifeboat cafe and so remains until this day. The new station at Fowey opened with the lifeboat being moored in the River Fowey. The first motorised lifeboat, a Watson class named C.D.E.C. arrived in 1928. Fowey has been served by the Denys Reitz (1954 - 1980) Watson Class lifeboat; the Gertrude (1980 - 1981) another Watson Class; the Guy and Clare Hunter (1981 - 1982) another Watson Class; the Charles Henry Ashley, Watson Class; the Leonore Chilcott (1982 - 1987) the first Brede Class lifeboat to be put on station in the UK and the Thomas Forehead and Mary Rowse II (1987 - 1996) 44ft Waveney Class lifeboat.

An inshore lifeboat (ILB) station was established in August 1996 with a D Class lifeboat (D-390) Tiger Dand a new launching davit for the ILB. In the same year the Thomas Forehead and Mary Rowse II was withdrawn and replaced by the current Trent class lifeboat, Maurice and Joyce Hardy.

Track the location of the Maurice and Joyce Hardy using her position tracker

Fowey lifeboat - Maurice and Joyce Hardy
The Maurice and Joyce Hardy


In 1997 the Inshore Lifeboat D-433 Marjorie was stationed there for a while until the station’s new D Class lifeboat (D-526) Olive Herbert, was placed on service at Fowey. In 1998 new crew facilities and new housing for the D Class lifeboat were built. A new pontoon berth was completed in 2004.
In 2008 the Olive Herbert was replaced with a new Class D Inshore lifeboat, (D-861) Olive Two.
In 2009 Fowey celebrated 150 years of lifeboats at Fowey.

Fowey Lifeboat Station website.

How to find the Fowey Lifeboat Station
In the centre of Fowey, it is on the landward side of Passage Street opposite the Inshore Rescue Boat launch site and the All Weather Boat mooring.
Station Opening Times: By appointment only (Contact: Keith Stuart - Tel: 01726 832156)
Shop Opening Times Spring, Summer and Autumn - Mondays to Saturdays from 10:30am to 4:00pm
Shop Tel: 01726 832213


Back to Top

 
           


Created and maintained by Amdow Web Design

Copyright 2000 - 2011 Amdow Web Design All rights reserved. Unauthorised use or copying is not permitted.   |   Commons Licence for reuse of certain images


Broken Links: Although we try to ensure that all the external links on our pages are current, there are times when a website will cease to exist or change it's name or the names of individual pages without our knowledge. If you come across any of these links that do not work, please let us know so that we can correct them.
Please email us with the details (web page URL and the broken link) at: